"Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with two termites." - Anonymous

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Even Industrial Heating Is Not Sufficient

This morning I awoke at 4:50am. Hubs was in the midst of getting ready for his day. A day that includes two flights to a warmer climate. A day of hanging out with my Dad. A day that starts the ultimate of their guys' weekend.

I enjoyed getting up early. It meant I had time for a coffee before getting ready. I got to watch the morning news, E and I had breakfast together, and relaxed a bit before I had to drive him to school. No rush, none of the last minute dashing about for misplaced mittens and school forms that usually marks our weekday mornings.

Today my husband and my father fly to Phoenix to attend the Barrett Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. They are flying to a 3-bedroom, 4-bathroom house in a gated community that may or may not be on a golf course. They are flying to 20 degrees Celsius.

They are flying out of -30 degrees Celsius. They are flying out of -39 degrees Celsius when wind chill is applied. They are flying out of snow covered sidewalks (too cold to shovel), and ice covered streets (too cold for salt). They are flying out of traffic crawling along at less than half the normal speed because someone decided to not pay attention to the poor road conditions and inserted the front of their car into another car's trunk.

Today, for the second day, I have a shawl wrapped around my shoulders. On top of my sweater. For the third day today, our office building cannot heat enough for any level of comfort. Our windows at home look like the inside of a deep freeze. Inside the house. I could feel cold air coming through the vent as I folded clothes out of the dryer.

This is what this week has for us. We were lulled into complacency with barely negative temperatures for so long. And now, Mother Nature is making up for it. With one week of sub-polar temperatures, she has dragged the average temperature for the year back down to where it should be.

Spring cannot come fast enough in my books.

The getting up early though? Like I said, I quite enjoyed it. Enough that I may try it again tomorrow morning. Maybe not pre-5am, but earlier than normal.

No comments: