"Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with two termites." - Anonymous

Sunday, April 20, 2008

California, Here We Come (There We Went?)

So, we flew into Palm Springs just before Easter. The weather was absolutely beautiful. The boys were angels on the flight and in the airports. It was interesting trying to explain just why we had to take off our shoes, empty pockets, and put Teddy (oh no!) on the belt to go through the machine. After a bit of a misunderstanding with the car rental, we were finally on our way to my parents' timeshare in Ramona.
We drove from the airport down to Palm Desert and turned west into the mountains. Over 4000' elevation at some points and roads that looked like a small intestine on our GPS made for some wonderful scenery and a couple white knuckle moments on my part.

A view of Palm Desert from the first lookout on the Palms to Pines Highway.


Our route took us through Saint Ysabel, one of the homes to the Julian Pie Company. Seriously yummy. I think we ate 3 of them over the course of the week.

We arrived in Ramona to find my parents looking more relaxed than I had ever seen them. And very at home. I understand now why they bought the timeshare there. Many of their Calgary friends are in the same place and it was very down-to-earth, roomy and comfortable.


Spring greets us in Ramona.

We went shopping in Carlsbad at the outlet shops (ya for the Le Creuset outlet!) and met up with my brother and his wife there before they joined us in Ramona for Easter. My sister-in-law lives in Los Angeles, while my brother lives here in Calgary. They are currently working towards being together in LA. Having been married for just over 1 year, they have one of the strongest relationships I’ve ever seen. Not many couples could survive that kind of separation. But, I digress…

Caught in the act! Picking oranges on the way to Escondido.

After Easter we took the boys and my parents to SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo. Apparently I was there a long time ago, but I don’t remember so it doesn’t count. It was so fun to view these places with my children and my parents, taking in a multigenerational experience. We also drove down to see the Hotel Del Coronado, then further south for a while, letting the boys nap in the car before heading back north to Ramona.

A day trip to Temeculah led to a personal discovery of a local olive oil company, some great local wines and a great cheese shop. The final days brought us back to stay in Palm Springs with my folks before flying home again. My parents proceeded to drive from Palm Springs through Death Valley and north back to Calgary over the next few days.




Our oldest son on our last day in Palm Springs.
In all, it was a fabulous trip, and we are excited to be going back next spring. Hubs even got in a round of golf with my Dad, so he was more than satisfied!


What happens when a 2 year old gets a hold of the camera on the plane.





2 comments:

Mimi said...

It looks just lovely. Really nice. A little different than the snow you're currently buried under, right?

Amy said...

Looks as though you had a wonderful vacation. The picture of the dessert is breath-taking.