"Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with two termites." - Anonymous

Friday, September 17, 2010

Joyous Heartbreak

In one week, two things have gotten me thinking of how my boys are growing up. First, the return of a co-worker who just spent 2 weeks split between the east and west coasts of Canada getting her children settled in at university. Second, Tracy's post about their 13th anniversary.

In one moment I am counting down the years. In the next I am holding on so tightly to the present.

In one moment I am trying to picture them ten, fifteen years older. Trying to imagine their faces, their personalities, their interests and pursuits. In the next I am struggling to memorize every twinkling eye, every goofy grin, every painful tear.

In one moment I am longing for easy days, quiet morning coffee. In the next I am providing the vocal stylings for a female superhero, helping to rescue an innocent victim.

Last week we had a glimpse of the future, as we both were off work while the boys were in school. It was wonderful and confusing at the same time.

Sometimes I am caught off guard by what we have done by becoming parents.

1 comment:

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

It is such a journey, and one that is every changing. I have found that it is best to live in the moment because each is so fleeting.

Not that I do it all the time, because I am human first and foremost.

:)