"Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with two termites." - Anonymous

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Let Me Fall

If you've ever heard this song from Cirque du Soleil, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say how much I love how the soulful, heartfelt lyrics move me.

For me, as a mother, I find this song particularly inspiring in how I raise my sons. For me, a lot of life is about taking chances and learning from our mistakes, growing from our experiences and reaching for the next step. "There's a moment when fear and dreams must collide".

As I watch my boys learn...learn to walk, run, climb, speak, play, I see the unbridled passion and excitement they get from learning. I also see them learn their limits. I've seen my oldest son learn that bouncing on his bed can result in a bloody nose. I've also seen him learn that putting crayon to paper can result in a fabulous work of art. I watch as he dances around the house and through life, stumbling occasionally, but less as each new day and experience dawns. I am only allowed to dance with him if I dance as freely. Otherwise I am holding him back.

I know that as they grow the falls will probably be from higher ground and may be harder to recover from. And helping them through that recovery is the most I can do for them. Helping them to learn the lessons brought before them is part of my role as a parent. As much as we want to keep our children wrapped in our arms and protect them from all the hardships of life, we teach them nothing this way. They need to experience the world and all it has to offer, the good and the bad.

We can guide them and be by them physically, emotionally and spiritually.

No comments: