"Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with two termites." - Anonymous

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Perhaps My New Book is Timely

It hit me. I thought I was going to escape its clutches, but this morning I woke up with a stuffy nose and barely able to talk.

The boys are just getting over their colds that hit them last week. What is it about kids that allows them to keep going when they have a cold? You would never know they were sick by their energy levels. I, on the other hand, could barely get out of bed this morning. Bleh.

~~~

I just finished reading "Dish" by Barbara Moses, PhD. An interesting read about women in midlife, but I think I could not relate to a lot of it. I think because I have reached some of the viewpoints in my 30's that some women reach in their 50's and 60's, and because a lot of what I was reading seemed very self-indulgent. But, I know that if I read it again in 20 years, I would probably have a different reaction to it.

So, I have now plunged whole-heartedly into "Healthy Aging" by Dr. Andrew Weil. And so far I am loving it. It has the perfect blend of science, theory and spiritual outlook for me. He doesn't talk about how to stop aging (not possible, and not desirable, in his view), but instead how to bring our physical bodies and spiritual minds and selves through the aging process in the best condition possible to as to shorten the actual decline in the end. The idea is to live as healthily as possible as long as possible and quickly decline, as opposed to living with years of age related illnesses.

~~~

I will be spending a lot of the next week getting ready for our trip to California for Easter. Any tips on how to keep a 2 1/2 year old occupied in an airport and on a 3-hour flight? Eeep!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Healthy Aging sounds like an interesting book. I'm all about aging well, and not attempting to fight the process, or pretend it isn't happening.

PS: I hope everyone feels better soon.