"Noah was a brave man to sail in a wooden boat with two termites." - Anonymous

Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome 2011. Come On In.

Wow. Have you ever experienced a whole year passing and you feel as though you did absolutely nothing? That's how I was feeling this morning as I drove to work. I know, looking back, that there were accomplishments this year: a trip to Europe, a new skill learned. And yet, there's this feeling...this emptiness...

I'm usually not enthusiastic about the roll over into a new year. I've tried to be. I've made the effort. But it lasts a couple days, weeks if I'm lucky, and old habits, cynicisms (is that a word?) creep back in.

I would like 2011 to be a year of accomplishments. I don't know what those will be. I actually need to sit down and draw out some goals. Find some focus. Put some effort into it (maybe that's always been my issue!) They don't need to be big, but I definitely need to see the importance in them.

Christmas this year felt like it came and went, and I was not ready for it at all. A tree was thrown up, ornaments were tossed on, hardly any other of the preparations that I normally delight in and love took place. No baking, no cards, no decorating. Even wrapping gifts was a last minute dash on Christmas Eve (thank goodness for Hubs, or it would have been even worse).

I don't like that. I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't Christmas. Even family visits felt rushed. Christmas Eve and Day came and went in a flash.

I would like 2011 to be different. I would like it to be...well, just more than 2010 was.

2 comments:

TheFitHousewife said...

Christmas always seems that way for me...too much to do and not enough time. I'm not sure how to make it better, if you figure that out this year, please let me know!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

You know, about a year or two ago I was broke and had no spirit or desire to do any of the holidays. I deliberately didn't decorate for anything but Christmas and that, only barely. It felt ok to give myself a break but it made me realize that I DO like the fussy stuff. It's only a few times a year for me so it's not that much hassle. But I had to miss it to appreciate it. So. I'm saying that maybe this year WILL be more memorable as you have LAST year to compare it to.

Then again, Europe is something that'd be hard to top...